My ConfessionOctober 25, 2017
IntegrityNovember 17, 2017
- Tell us about yourself: Many of you know me as Reni, but my actual name is Mareen Roeder Hilovsky. I was born and raised in Wismar, Germany, and came to the U.S. in 1997, as an AuPair. What was supposed to be a one year stay turned into 20. I am now happily married to my hubby of 15 years, Tyson. I am also a mom to two little girls, Taryn(9) and Reese(5), and our fur baby Stark(I love Iron Man and Stark means strong in German). We currently live in Butler, near the Farm Show.
- What brought you to TPA? How long have you been doing Crossfit? www.crossfit.com and Google Maps :).I met Tammy, at TPA, one sunny summer day and history was made. I have been crossfitting(or trying to) for two years. My brother in law introduced me to Crossfit four years ago, but it took me a while to get started(kids are very time consuming).
- What were your thoughts after your 1st WOD at TPA? I don’t think I was able to think much since my body was in survival mode, and my brain was trying to keep me alive:). Just kidding!!! I loved Crossfit from the start. There are no cute outfits, no make up, and no fancy steps ,or routines. All it takes is drive, technique, and great people to succeed. Oh, great coaches too;). I am officially addicted to Crossfit. I have seen more results doing Crossfit, than any other sport, or workout routine that I have ever done.
- What do you enjoy most about Crossfit? Besides getting challenged every day, I love the people that I workout with. I have met some great people at TPA! We have fun together, as well as challenge ,and support each other.
- What is your proudest Crossfit moment to date? Showing up at 5:30 am four -five days a week, and getting back to doing box jumps. After my sudden hearing loss, last December, I struggled with balance issues. Sudden movements just weren’t an option for a while. I kept at it, and now I am back to the 20 in. box.
- What is your favorite movement/lift? Least favorite? I love Deadlifts and I hate the following: Snatch, Burpees, Overhead squat(really anything that requires a full squat and lifting something over your head). I do however never cherry-pick workouts.
- What impact has Crossfit had on you in and out of the gym? Crossfit has changed my thinking of what I am able to do. I have done so many things that I never thought I could do(like 30 burpees without passing out). Also, after working with Coach Jess and counting macros, I am now 22 lbs. lighter and a new person. I can’t tell you what that has done to my self confidence. I am happier, even more sarcastic, more outgoing, and I have a bunch of energy. I always loved working out, but Crossfit is giving me a high that does not compare to anything else(I should get paid for this line:)).
- What advice would you give to someone new to Crossfit, or thinking of giving it a try? If you are new to Crossfit, stick with it! Do not compare yourself to athletes that have been doing this for a while. Compete with yourself and get the right technique down(Coach Alex is a quite the technique stickler- for the right reasons). Don’t be shy and ask if you need help with anything. If you are thinking about trying Crossfit, do it! It will be challenging and rewarding at the same time.
- If you could create a WOD, what would it look like? A 30 min. power nap sounds like a great WOD:). Seriously, I love long and grinding workouts. Workouts that are meant to push your limits. 20-25 min. Maybe some Clusters, Burpees, T2B, Wall balls, and ab mat sit ups.