Member Spotlight Chris and Kath Smith!January 27, 2017
FOOD FACT FRIDAYJune 9, 2017
- TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF.
I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and did both my undergraduate and graduate work at the University of Pittsburgh to become a Pediatric Speech Language Pathologist. After graduation I moved south and lived in Myrtle Beach for a few years, followed by Charlotte, NC for a year. I moved back last summer with my two dogs to be closer to my family and am loving getting reacquainted with Pittsburgh.
- WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO TPA? HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN DOING CROSSFIT?
I joined TPA when I moved back at the recommendation of a long-time friend, Alisha Hilfinger. I had been doing crossfit in Charlotte for a year prior to moving back and had fallen in love with it, so finding a box here was a priority. I’ve now been doing crossfit for two years.
- WHAT WERE YOUR THOUGHTS AFTER YOUR 1st WOD AT TPA?
I was excited about the programming and community I found here! I was so sad to leave my old box, so I was incredibly relieved to find quality programming and supportive, fun people at TPA!
- WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT CROSSFIT?
I am constantly chasing that high you get when the workout is over.
- WHAT IS YOUR PROUDEST CROSSFIT MOMENT TO DATE?
Getting on the podium at Festivus Games.
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MOVEMENT/LIFT? LEAST FAVORITE?
Favorite: Back Squat and Split Jerk. Least favorite: Anything that comes from the floor, including burpees.
- FAVORITE THING ABOUT THE 9AM CLASS?
The support from everyone during tough lifts or WODs! Whoever is the last to finish the WOD has a crowd of people cheering them on!
- WHAT IMPACT HAS CROSSFIT HAD ON YOU IN AND OUT OF THE GYM?
Crossfit reminds me daily how strong and capable my body and mind are.
- WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE NEW TO CROSSFIT OR THINKING OF GIVING IT A TRY?
Stop thinking about it and just do it! I sat around and procrastinated joining crossfit for a whole year because I was intimidated. Now, I wish I had just started it then instead of waiting around and worrying. The community is amazing and any workout can be scaled to meet you at your fitness level. Plus, if I can do it, literally anyone can do it.
- IF YOU COULD CREATE A WOD, WHAT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE?
If I wanted to have fun: Intervals on the assault bike or rower with some sort of barbell cycling mixed in! If I wanted to challenge myself: running and burpees.